Minorite Church

Minorite Church

Master Carlone from Eger built the church at first (1729-1734) out of the glorious baroque monument complex of the grey friars.  The founder of the Minorite Monastery, Kelemen Didák was entombed here.

The Minorite Church was erected between 1735 and 1743 on the walls of the ruined Gothic parish-church of the city, which is one of the distinguished places of the historical city core of Miskolc. Its today’s form and furnishing originate from the second half of the 18th century. The church and the attached monastery were designed by Giovanni Battista Carlone, architect from Eger.

The entrance of the church, having an imposing appearance with its twin-towered main façade can be accessed from the three-armed front steps. We can see a symbolic relief above the main tympanum entrance, lively baroque statues can be found in the five niches of the middle projection: in the niches in the ground floor Saint Clare and Saint Elisabeth, in the niches in the first floor Saint Francis and Saint Anthony. In the statue niche of the high middle part of the attic we see the Immaculate statue, while on the encompassing volutes there are angel figures, at the edges of the attic there are decorative vases.

The towers laced with cittern shaped and semicircular windows are closed with intensively articulated clock mouldings, above them a fomerel is raising with cuissinet.
The church of bridging layout has no entrance hall. The organ loft is held by two Tuscan pillars. The pilasters divide the balustrade of the loft to three parts. The nave is covered by four Bohemian vaults, separated by double braces. The braces run to paired wall-pillars of Tuscan column cap, on both sides of the nave chapel-rows are located; four on the east side, three on the west side. The place of the last chapel on the west side is taken by the passage to the monastery.

The especially elegant furnishing of the church was made in several periods. In the place of its dismantled main altar – originating from a one-time workshop in the Highland (Felvidék) – Ignác Szepessi, canon of Eger, had a new main altar made in 1818 and 1819. We can see the altar-piece made by Lajos Sajósy, painter of Eger, in 1867, encompassed by the pairs of columns of Corinthian caps: the Assumption. The sculpture is the work of Ignác Eintzerhoffer, master of Eger.

In the first side chapel on the right side we can see the classicistic Trinity-altar, opposite the altar of the Holy Cross, in the next chapels the baroque Saint Francis and Saint Anthony altars, in the third chapel pair the also baroque Saint Joseph altar, opposite the Saint Elisabeth altar built in baroque style as well.

The pulpit of the church is hanging on one of the nave’s pillar pairs. On its rotrum we can see the relief of the Sower and the Good shepherd as well as the sitting, colour-painted figures of the four evangelists. The whispering-gallery decorated with baldachin is supported by two fluttering angels. The carved benches are the masterpieces of József Stöcherle (1722-1775), carpenter of the Minorite Monastery in Eperjes (today Prešov).
The parament cabinet of the vestry, fabricated about 1750, originates from the workshop of Zakariás Temporovics, carpenter of the monastery.

The organ embellished with rich plastic ornaments was manufactured in Lőcse (today Levoča) in 1744.
P. Kelemen Didák the sainted Minorite monk, founder of the monastery was entombed in the crypt located under the chancel.

Elérhetőség: 

Minorite Church

Telephone: 
(+36) 46/505-636
Location: 
Hősök tere 5.
Miskolc 3525
Javascript is required to view this map.

read more»: Minorite Church